MY2023 Factory Ordering Update and GM Truck Order Information
By Sheryl Sawyers
May 19, 2022
Last year’s ordering cycle was a challenge, and this year will be no different. Demand for new vehicles, especially trucks and vans, continue to be extremely high while dealer inventory is at historic lows. Chip shortages remain an issue and even as we begin to emerge from the supply chain crisis, the industry faces pent-up demand.
MY2023 Factory Ordering
Vehicle manufacturers are working to fairly allocate vehicles to current customers to the best of their ability. Acquiring MY23 vehicles will be as difficult as the past three ordering cycles. As soon as MY23 specs are available, get your orders in the pipeline. Production dates, lead times and pricing will continue to evolve throughout the year. Orders placed just prior to the cut-off date often experience even longer lead times as assembly plants balance orders through the remaining production schedule.
- Reach out to your OEM rep now, especially for models that require prior approval.
- Expect OEM reps to give preference to existing customers.
- Finalize your OEM incentive programs now.
- Truck and van production will be hardest hit by supply chain constraints.
- Vehicles with upfitting could experience further delays as upfit lead times may have increased as well.
- Cut-off dates will be earlier than normal, especially for vans and trucks.
- New or changed order cutoff dates can be announced with little to no notice.
Coming Soon! GM U.S. Truck Factory Ordering
IMPORTANT: All orders must be placed by Friday 5/27
GM is predicting that order volume for GM Trucks will be high and that order banks will close quickly. Below is important information to keep in mind if you utilize these vehicles:
- Except for heavy duty crew cabs, there is no pre-approval/allocation for GM Trucks this year.
- GM plans to start the Restricted Ordering approval process for impacted models in mid-June. Therefore, the Silverado and Sierra HD (2500 and 3500) Crew Cab models will not be available for ordering on May 26. They will be available only to clients that receive allocation approval starting in mid-June. All other Silverado and Sierra 1500, 2500 and 3500 models are available to order now.
- Pricing will be released on Wednesday, May 25, order banks open on Thursday, May 26.
- Pricing may not be in Wheels Donlen system when order banks open.
- Be prepared to order as soon as order banks open, even if pricing is not in the system.
- Orders can be placed in both Wheels and Donlen systems now but will not be transmitted until the order banks open.
- Bulk orders to be placed by the Wheels and Donlen ordering teams should be submitted by Friday, May 20.
- Wheels Donlen will place orders as they are received. Note that we expect many companies trying to order at the same time which is why we have increased staffing and will be submitting orders over the Memorial Day weekend.
- GM will shut down ordering when they have reached their production capacity.
Wheels Donlen Action Items
- Our internal ordering team is staying closely aligned with our contacts at GM and are meeting daily to eliminate bottlenecks and minimize potential error.
- Ordering associates are prepared to work overtime to place orders over the weekend, if order banks remain open.
- We’ve updated our process to allow orders to be placed early. We strongly recommend getting your orders in as soon as possible – the earlier the better!
MY2023 Factory Order Dates Reference
For a list of order dates by manufacturer, please visit the FleetView Reference Section or Donlen.com Resources section respectively. This information is updated regularly with the information we receive from our OEM partners.
Wheels Donlen Help with Vehicle Allocation
Our team is having regular conversations with OEMs regarding allocation and production. And we’re meeting weekly to plan for and prioritize orders accordingly. Wheels Donlen Account Teams are actively working with clients to ensure they have a diverse acquisition strategy if you do not receive allocation or not as many vehicles to fulfill your business needs. Work closely with your Wheels Donlen Account Teams to ensure that you’re able to respond to these supply chain challenges.