With an uptick in summer road trips this year, you probably won’t be the only one hitting the highway for an extended period of time. With more vehicles around you, Wheels Donlen wants to make sure you take all the safety precautions possible to avoid any accidents.
Here are 5 rules of the road (trip) to keep in mind before and during the long haul:
- Avoid any distractions: Distracted driving is the #1 cause of all car accidents. Whether you’re behind the wheel or in the passenger seat, refrain from anything that could distract the driver: arguments, loud music, multitasking, and especially phone use. Cellphones are only necessary for emergencies, so use them once you’ve pulled over to the side of the road.
- Limit the number of passengers: One rule-of-thumb for passenger limits is that you can have as many passengers as you have seatbelts. The more passengers in the vehicle, the more likely it is for the driver to get distracted. So, passengers are responsible for being on their best behavior during the drive.
- Follow the speed limit: Speeding is another leading cause of car accidents. It’s easy to push your speed a little higher, especially on the highway. However, it’s better to arrive at your destination a little later than to risk your safety or the safety of others.
- Having/Being a good front-seat passenger: The role of the front-seat passenger is almost as important as that of the driver. Keeping the driver awake, assisting with navigation, and serving as backup driver are all responsibilities of a good front-seat passenger.
- Try to limit night driving: Driving at night can often lead to drowsiness. So, try to plan your road trip at times of the day when you’re naturally awake. For more information on how to combat drowsy driving, download our tip sheet.
Though you might be in a rush to reach your summer destination, take some time to utilize these tips for the safest driving experience possible.
If you want to know more on how to avoid accidents on long drives, contact us!